Saturday, January 11, 2014

and so it goes...

the daily stitching has continued and i've washed some more of my grandmother's cloth to use. I wasn't sure whether i'd be able to use it because it was stiff and so discolored...not in a good way...but 2 hours soaked in oxy-clean and they turned out beautifully. I was amazed. so I will cut them up and incorporate them. I've decided to vary the shapes and sizes of the blocks to add interest and also so that I don't have to cut into some beautiful patterns on the cloth.

and don't forget....click on the images for better views...

daily stitching squares

I continue to stitch a little on the Fun Times cloth every day and am getting closer to finishing but still have a ways to go. every time I lay out all the panels, I see areas that still need some work.

added contrast here so the white stitching shows up

and I cannot resist showing you some more images of the beautiful Amaryllis flowers that are sitting on my kitchen table that were a gift from a friend. I think these will be the last blooms for this year. I've enjoyed these so much that I think I will be forcing bulbs indoors every year from now on.






the back of the Downton Abbey coat is about 25" long and I'm just about to start the armholes. I hope to have the back finished by next week.

we've been having some beautiful days of sun and 70 degree temperatures but the cold days are bound to be back before long.

have a great week and see you next time.

15 comments:

henrietta (aka ani aka zani) said...

you've done a beautiful job in photographing the blooms of the amaryllis - especially the first one with the back-lighting and still showing the color. it's good to see them together to compare the two different colors. have you ever forced paperwhites - oh my, the perfume that fills the air and of-course hyacinth - nothing like that for fragrance. i'm glad these were there to help you through winter's short days...beautiful. and the stitch-a-day project is something that is so therapeutic especially since you are using cloth that came from within the family. wouldn't it be grand if you finish the downton coat in time for the series 4 to have it's finale. do you knit while watching the show. my most favorite character is maggie smith - she's a real model of a great dame to me. cheers.

Nancy said...

That amaryllis is a perfect match to go with the Fun Times! Can't wait to see the coat done :) I have old family handercheif too! Just used one this week.

Ms. said...

Ah, yes, the Oxy-clean miracle. I am a fan. Lovely lovely work as always, and those bykbs are delicious. I currently have paper whites in bloom, and the weather here is Spring like.

"and so it goes" always reminds me of Linda Ellerbe, but I forgot how to spell her name..

Anita said...

To vary the shapes and sizes of the blocks is a good idea! So much details are there in the fun times cloth,looking forward to see the whole piece soon.
Amaryllis is so beautiful,the first image looks like a picture quilt :)

Ginny Huber said...

Hi Deanna: Glad I saw your blog post! I haven't visited for quite a while..wonderful that you have cloth of your grandmother's..and look forward to seeing your Downton Abbey coat..so I need to stay tuned in!

margaret said...

your squares are coming along well, can picture a beautiful quilt emerging from all of thse

Judy said...

love your delicate stitching! so beautiful!

your Amaryllis are gorgeous too. I have one blooming now, and our friend Jeannie sent me a bulb which I need to pot up and force. After they bloom, I let the stalks die back and then I plant them in my perennial garden, where they bloom every summer.

Can't wait to see your Downton Abbey coat. You are making great progress. I want to start a big project but need to tie up loose ends on several already in the works.

Have a great week Deanna!

xxoo

Rachel said...

The amaryllis is lovely.
So glad your fabrics came up so well!

karen said...

you have some beautiful cloth cut into squares for your project Deanna. If your fun times cloth is a measure of what to expect then I can't wait...I love that cloth and I've been through every stage of its making with you....

Carmel said...

So delicate....just like your flowers.

Jane said...

How lovely that you get to use your grandmother's cloth. It'll be a a joy to work on

Nat Palaskas said...

What beautiful amaryllis i never knew it's name. Your photographed them very well too - Hugs Nat

neki desu said...

wooo!onward with those projects

Stitching Lady said...

Hello Deanna, I love such old linen and cloths from grandmas - I have many of those saved from my mother's cupboard and she has stored everything connected with cloth from the family around. A treasure!!!!!
Love your advancement on the "Downtown Abbey" - I am following you!

Stitching Lady said...

I jumped too far down on your blog..... so here is my admiration for your wonderful amaryllis. It is a treat that we can share this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...