Saturday, January 3, 2015

practice, practice, practice....

...that's what it takes to learn tambour embroidery. I've been practicing the chain stitch all week and then tried working with some beads. It is becoming more comfortable to handle the hook and thread. The next task is working with sequins....those slippery things that tend to stick together. It would be a bit easier if you could see what you are doing but the sequins/beads are worked from underneath the cloth so it's done by feel. The back of the cloth is the right side when working with the beads or sequins so if you want the chain stitch and the beads to be on the right side, you have to reverse the cloth when doing the beadwork. I don't imagine I'll be doing lots with the sequins but I still want to learn the process.

click on the images...

the tools

just practicing


trying to work with a pattern....a bit messy....still need more practice

I did finish the doll I showed you last time. I decided not to stuff it.

made with cotton yarn


That's about all I did this week. We've been having some cold, wet days.....so trying to stay warm. I know it's a lot colder elsewhere so I will not complain about the cold. Wishing you all a magical New Year.

16 comments:

Rachel said...

I like your pieces of tambour work - it will be interesting to watch your progress with it!

Anita said...

You are correct, tambour embroidery may look simple because it's mostly chain stitch and it's variations but we need lots of practice to get it right.
You practice piece looks great Deanna, keep going! the doll is so cute and I like the quilted piece too, is it hand quilted ?

Liz A said...

I have to laugh ... I thought it would be neat to tambour stitch and bead my daughter's veil the week of her wedding ... as it turned out, her plain veil was lovely ;)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

awww - your wee doll is so cute! I love her little skirt. Tambour scares me - it looks deceivingly simple and generally such things really aren't.

Jane said...

I just love that doll Deanna, I'm so pleased you decided to leave her as she is, it's part of her charm

margaret said...

you rpatience with the tambour work has produced some very pretty work. Love the doll with just her head stuffed

Mosaic Magpie said...

Patience, Patience, Patience...I admire your efforts the results look great. Your little doll is so cute and will make a sweet gift.
Deb

karen said...

there is a beautiful precision to your tambour work Deanna and I always admire your determination. The doll is adorable, so lovely!!

Nancy said...

Your little Unstuffed doll is so precious! Some little hand will hang onto her for sure. Your focus and ability to practice is amazing. Good luck with the sequins. I spent lunch hours cutting some off an old shirt...they sure are difficult to work with! Cold days here, for us anyway.

Stitching Lady said...

Deanna, nice to read you precisely every Sunday. Your tambourwork is impressing. Go on, go on, we will be watching you. And the doll is nice - I like the different colours of the trousers.

Judy Warner said...

I know you will persist and your tambour work will be showing up in the most lovely places. Love the cheerful ness of your doll too.
May you have a wonderful New Year!

neki desu said...

ah! that's how those chain stitch pieces are done.always liked them and marveled at their evenness.takes more that what it meets the eye.go on and delight us.

Anonymous said...

love the loose knit doll (well, tightly-knit, but loose on account of being unstuffed) -- she is adorable.

Nat Palaskas said...

Wow, is that what it is tambour embroidery? I have couple of rugs made from that technique. I'm so impressed you are learning it! Well done Deanna!

Joe Madl said...

ah...i have always admired tambour work. even went so far as to acquire the tools and materials to venture into it myself. though they sit quietly in a box at the bottom of an old steam trunk were they have lay dreaming for a couple decades now. your tambour adventures are beautiful! i think i shall let my box dream still and be content with admiring yours...

Peggy said...

I agree the doll is perfect as is! I love the effect of the greens on your tambour work. Today is our warm day, in the 40's, wish we would get more moisture, bet you're glad for it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...