Saturday, February 21, 2015

Started a couple of new things....

I have started knitting a button down short sleeved sweater. I'm not liking the sheen on this yarn but I do love the color. I wound the yarn so it would fit perfectly into my new wooden yarn bowl by Furls. I'm following a chart for this section which is the waistband and I'm sure you can see I've already made a mistake on one of the cables....I do have an idea of how to fix it so that it is not so noticeable but I will not be taking out all those rows.

click on the images

started with the waistband

I've been enjoying crocheting these tiny yarn motifs. I do love all the colors but haven't yet decided how I will stitch them together.

crocheted motifs with 1 ply needlepoint yarn

Also started a new bobbin lace project that is a real challenge. I couldn't do it without the help of my wonderful lace teacher Karen Hickman.

that's a picture of what I hope my tree will look like but I'm doing it in purple, green and lavender.

The Modern Quilt Guild Show is in Austin, Texas this weekend and I went with a few of my quilting friends yesterday....lots of vendors and lots of quilts. Here's a link to their blog where you can see some of the quilts as well as a list of the winners and their quilts. Some very inspiring and creative entries. I only bought a couple of pieces of fabric but ordered a couple more of the ones that were sold out when I came home. Carrie Bloomston is the designer of these Windham Fabrics. It will be fun to cut into the different patterns in these designs.You can see the whole line of her fabrics here.

bought the paint brush fabric and ordered some of the other two.

My front yard is full of double Narcissus and I can see some buds on the Salvia. We are having really comfortable days but a cold front is due in tonight so winter is not quite over. I am so lucky to live where we are not having all the snow, ice and cold that I know some of you are enduring. Hopefully it will be over soon. Have a great week and see you next time.

14 comments:

liniecat said...

My hairdresser asked me today if Id teach her how to crochet, and only last week I was thinking that I needed to pick up a crochet hook - it is a little like meditation?
Now and again, you need to pick up a hook and just crochet!

Lois Evensen said...

What beautiful projects. Your sweater and lace tree are my favorites. :) wow, so pretty!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That's a beautiful yarn bowl - I love anything that's made of wood. Another gorgeous sweater too. And then....I saw the lace pattern. Can't WAIT to see it done!!!

Sweetpea said...

Very fun to see what you're working on, Deanna. About fell into a swoon at the sight of your yarn in that splendid yarn bowl ! BEAUTIFUL.

Anita said...

The lace tree looks awesome,looking forward to see yours. cute bowl !

Jane said...

Oh wow, Deanna, that bobbin lace project looks amazing. I'll look forward to seeing your progress

Nancy said...

Deanna~ I love that yarn bowl. Your new projects look like they are keeping you busy. How fun to go to a quilt show with friends. I haven't done that in a while. I love the cheery fabric you chose. I can't wait to see what you do with it!!

karen said...

love the wooden yarn bowl Deanna, it almost make me want to take up knitting again. The lace piece will be stunning, I know yours will have a unique twist as I trust your instinct with colour choices. As for your mistakes in the knitting....just remember the man on the galloping horse...:)

susan hemann said...

You are always working on something! Thanks for the connection to Paint by Carrie Bloomston! Glad to hear someone has flowers! I haven't seen the ground since December. I just love bobbin lace, never tried it. It looks difficult

Mosaic Magpie said...

Always something new and interesting here! I too love the wooden yarn bowl and the knitting pattern looks very involved. Enduring the snow here in KY and wishing longingly for Spring!
xo,
Deb

Stitching Lady said...

Lovely to read you, Deanna, I am simply enthusiastic about the bowl. It is so beautiful. It seems you are full of energy like spring which is coming and can be seen already in your front garden. About your mistake in the waist band... my boss said to people who made mistakes: "You are a human being" (in German 'Mensch' which is very funny in this context!).
I love that you started new things and that you are showing them. It might give me a kick after my terrible cold.

Nat Palaskas said...

Cute yarn bowl! I bet it works magic for the yarn. Quilt show much be fun to visit. I must say I haven't been to one for ages. Is your weather getting warmer?

Rachel said...

I'm very intrigued by that bobbin lace tree, I must say!

Peggy said...

I love the sweater and the yarn bowl! Have to go check that out...do you like using it?
I thought of you when I first heard the quilt show was in Austin way back when and sure enough, you went! That's very fun fabric! Do you belong to a local modern quilt guild? There's one here but they meet on a night that I'm busy. But that can always change...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...